Elizabeth Suzann linen harper tunic (OS-) | gift from Elizabeth Suzann
James Perse shirred tube skirt | I’m wearing size 1
Birkenstock Arizona sandals | (mine are JP exclusive, two-tone, and sold out)
I’ve seen a gif or something go around social media about black clothes: I’ll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color. Sounds about right. I don’t normally choose to wear black separates together, I like to wear white with black to show contrast, but I’m certainly not opposed to it. And in this case, support it wholeheartedly.
This outfit is one of those things I put on and just sigh immediately with satisfaction. It suits me and my lifestyle perfectly and makes me ridiculously happy. I’m actually wearing it today, as my mother and I drive from Atlanta to Bowling Green, KY for a memorial service/family get together (I’m not wearing this for the memorial, just for the drive – for the memorial service, I’m wearing my Elizabeth Suzann Marlena dress…).
Speaking of black: I did decide to keep the Ulla Johnson overalls, BUT one of the things I thought about when I thought originally to send them back was that I’d probably prefer them in black. So when they popped up at Shopbop yesterday in black, I bought them immediately – before they sold out. When I get them, I’ll weigh my options and decide which pair to keep. Since they seem to be sold out everywhere, I’ll offer the pair up I decide not to keep here for anyone who might have missed them and is still interested.
And now, speaking of linen, I’m going to be putting together a comprehensive “linen” post soon, with reviews of different pieces, different brands, and my favorites over all. Most excitedly, I received a few organic linen items from Eileen Fisher to review from you, and I’ll talk about those as well 🙂
A quick tip for linen though, if you’re interested: in between wears, if you hang the item up and spray it with water until it’s wet, but not too, the wrinkles/etc. will fall out beautifully (no ironing…as if I’d iron…). Of course with wear, the wrinkles will come back almost immediately, it’s linen after all, but it does tend to look a little better for a while anyway.
First, I totally love you for listening to your readers/admirers (i.e. ulla overalls and ES silk pants.) We heart you!
Second, your “black” outfit is reading navy on my screen…MY favourite colour. I think my computer understands me ;-). I do love black, but it does not love me, so I wear it away from my face or at least with a big scoop neck or straps. Again, I mostly admire black vicariously.
I dig that tunic soooooo much! I’m totally going to look for a plus size one. Prepare to be twinsies……
I thought the overalls were amazing on you! The outfit for today totally looks navy on my monitor. Thanks for the tip on linen. I have the Everlane linen shirt and I love it but really don’t like ironing. Have a great weekend.
Oh, I love this outfit, yes and yes to black on black!! The overalls looked awesome on you and I’m keen to see them in black + the black skirt and olive top – another stellar outfit. Thanks for all the wardrobe inspo lately.
Part of the black is the new black camp too. 90% of my wardrobe is black (or white & black print) or charcoal. I do like jackets and chinos in army green and shoes in camel (the remaining 10%). I’ve been making a recent effort to add some navy, a white T (so hard to find one that fits properly!) and I’m finding adding those few items is filling in gaps for me but all neutral is my preference (with the exception of accessories). I’m so glad you are reconsidering the overalls! I like another reader’s idea about cropping. I think you could do a test by pinning if you like that idea too although the rolled gives you more options going forward. Googled the black and those are lovely too (& I can see you in those). Thank you for the tip on linen! I’ve been buying more linen tops this summer as I realized I can wear a linen T with a dressier bottom for casual business. Also wonderful for our humid weather in Hawaii. So far, I have the b&w striped scoop from Everlane and a greenish dark grey racerback from Banana Republic.
Funny that I’ve a similar skirt in black and that same top in navy. I saw this picture and thought, “I can do this!”
I love black and live in it year round. I just change the fabric to linen in summer. Isn’t it nice to find your style “sweet spot”?
Thanks for the linen care tip!
I’m totally in with black on black. So maybe it’s the new “Blonde on Blonde”?!? 😉