the clyde culotte!!!!!
In celebration of Elizabeth Suzann’s signature generation 4 release yesterday….
- Did you order anything from the Signature generation 4 release?
- What was your first ES piece?
- What is your FAVORITE ES piece? How many ES pieces do you own?
- How did you find out about ES?
- If you haven’t purchased ES yet, why not? What would you purchase if you could?
For reference, all my Elizabeth Suzann posts.
I have –
Clyde pants, size 6 (gift from ES)
Harper linen tunic, black, one size minus (gift from ES)
Harper wool sweater, black, one size (gift from ES) N/A
Marlena midi, raw silk, medium (gift from ES) N/A
Cecilia pants, size 6 (gift from ES)
Knit mockneck sweater, medium (last year’s knit release)
Patti knit shell, sage, medium (gift from ES)
Rebekka kimono, black, one size minus
Structured mules, onyx, 38
- No, I haven’t ordered anything, and probably won’t yet. I just need to not spend money on clothes for a while…If I could, I’d probably order the Clyde culottes first, black, and then the Clyde jumpsuit, and maybe something in the new “rust” silk crepe.
- I received a few pieces from ES to review a couple years ago, so the Clyde pants, Cecilia pants, Harper linen tunic and Marlena midi all came together. They were all my first ES pieces. It’s been an addiction since then. There’s just something about the way the pieces fit which is “understanding” if that makes sense. Liz just seems to “get” women’s bodies and how we want to dress them.
- I don’t think I can pick a favorite…I really just love all of them – they’re each special in their own way. LOL, they’re like kids…you can’t have a favorite. I have 9 pieces, and have had the Florence pants in silk crepe and the clyde jumpsuit from a sample sale, but sold/gave away both of them.
- I found out about ES from you guys!! And then someone from the brand reached out to start working with me on reviews.
- I have purchased from ES, but I can absolutely understand hesitation for those who haven’t yet. It’s expensive, and honestly sometimes the long lead time prevents me from ordering. Also, sizing can be challenging to figure out!
1. I ordered Clyde pants from the Signature 4 launch! I had placed an order in twill, heard about the pilling issues (which now I’m hearing might have been more of an issue for those who were wearing their Clydes more snugly rather than loose?), and canceled my order. The customer service rep told me my pants were about to be shipped out when I canceled. Guess someone else got their pants a little earlier! Very excited to finally have some Clydes on the way.
2. I ordered a Georgia tee and a Linn tee at the same time, and they were my first pieces. I guess the shirts felt a little easier on my wallet than the pants!
3. My favorite piece might just be the linen Florence pants. I have not had really wide leg pants before, and I love them!
4. I might have first found out about ES here. Either here or the Stylebee blog. Maybe both.
5. Well I have purchased, but if money was no object…I would go for the Florence pant in navy silk. Dreamy. For now, I am not sure I would get enough wear out of them to prioritize buying them.
Re: the sizing and the wait times. The launch includes charts with body and garment measurements for each size, so hopefully that should reduce the sizing issues! Fingers crossed my Clydes are true to size. And Liz said that if they reach their max capacity for a 5-week turn around (I think like 2800 orders), they will stop taking orders temporarily. Not sure if I like that solution better than the long wait, but I guess they are trying.
I haven’t ordered anything from the Signature 4 release yet, but I see so many pieces I’d love to own. My first ES piece was the Harper tunic in Ivory linen (OS-), which is also my favorite piece. I wear it all the time and sometimes even sleep in it. It’s such a clean, fresh look. I usually wear it wrinkled and it’s gotten softer and softer. I own 7 ES pieces and I love them all. I found out about ES from YOU when you first reviewed your harper tunic in black! Thanks for that, Grechen. I haven’t purchased yet from the new collection, because I’m trying not to buy new clothes right now, and to get lots of wear out of the ones I have. BUT, if money were no object, I’d get the Clyde trench in clay, the Clyde work pants in natural cotton canvas, and the Georgia tee in rust silk crepe and also in black silk crepe. It’s hard to choose, though. I want SO MANY of her gorgeous pieces!!
I found out about the line from you. I have and LOVE the Clyde jumpsuit. I am now contemplating the Clyde dress or pants. I love those pockets and it’s so amazingly well made. Thanks for sharing about this great company.
I have about 10 pieces and have gifted ES to others as well. And I paid for them all myself! Groan! That’s the sound of my lonely, empty wallet. I think I’ve been with her since she went online, and I think I heard about her from Miss Moss (love her.) I haven’t ordered anything yet, but I will probably get a Georgia dress in “rust”. I am hoping the neck isn’t too horrible, i.e. tight. I am disappointed that she didn’t do the harper tops in silk, since the raw silk version have disappeared. I am also disappointed that there aren’t any warmer winter items. Not that I can’t get what I need elsewhere (Kordal, Nido, etc.) but I ave always enjoyed her stylings.
1.Did you order anything from the Signature generation 4 release? — Not yet. The Clyde Vest in Black Canvas and the Ella in Rust are in my cart at the moment…
2.What was your first ES piece? — I think I first bought the workbelt but sadly lost it. I then bought a pair of black Clydes used, but gave them away before my style grew into them (I now have 2 pairs). BUT my first “real” purchase was the L/S Harper in raw silk, which I adore.
3.What is your FAVORITE ES piece? How many ES pieces do you own? — I think I own 7 pieces? 3 tops, 2 sweaters and 2 pairs of Clydes — mind you, the sweaters (Billie and Rhodes) and my Harper are the only things I bought new, everything else is pre-owned from STES or eBay.
My favorite is hands-down the Marlena tank in black raw silk. I take it travelling and for weekend trips it’s the only top I’ll take with me (with sweaters and jackets, of course). So versatile and the raw silk was my favorite fabric — I trust they’ll find a good alternative!
4.How did you find out about ES? — A blog? Your blog? I don’t remember but I do remember seeing your black Marlenda Midi and was instantly sold. (PS if you ever decide to part with it, let me know! 😉 )
5.If you haven’t purchased ES yet, why not? What would you purchase if you could? — My dream wish list includes a Clyde Trench, the Elise Knit in Black and the Mules in the tan color (can’t bring myself to do it when buying from Sevilla Smith directly is so much cheaper). Those are the big-ticket items that I can’t bring myself to shell out the money for. My realistic wish list includes the Harper Tunic in Navy Silk (I love it worn in reverse like I’ve seen lately on the ES gals) and the Lara in Charcoal.
I always want to order from ES but something prevents me from pulling the trigger. I really like a bunch of the pants but pants are really hard for me and the fact that they’re not returnable for my money back makes me very hesitant. I love the look of the Harper Tunic but I don’t always love the wrinkled look in linen. I am really hoping that they bring back the Harper sweater as I will definitely try that. One of these days, I will definitely purchase! Luckily, in the meantime, I am not running around with nothing to wear.
1. I haven’t ordered anything yet. I only looked at it briefly and saw a couple of items I was interested in, but haven’t dug into whether I like stuff enough to purchase.
2. My first piece was a harper tunic. Unfortunately, the very first time I wore it (and after waiting 9 weeks for it to arrive), I somehow got bleach splashed on it at Costco. It’s very minimal, and I still wear it, but I had to remind myself for two days that it’s only clothing to stop feeling awful about it. This happened right around Hurricane Harvey, so that was a sobering comparison of real problems.
3. I only own one piece, so by default, the harper is my favorite.
4. Gosh, I don’t even remember anymore!
5. I followed ES for years before buying. My number one hesitation was the return policy – I would have ordered everything I wanted if I could have returned pieces I didn’t like for cash instead of store credit. And with the very long lead times, I didn’t want to have to deal with being wrong about sizing and returning, especially since trying things on in the right size doesn’t guarantee that I’ll actually like the item. So sizing concerns was a secondary hesitation. I placed my first order after visiting Nashville this spring for vacation. I did a shop tour and literally tried on everything (where possible – a lot of the items were samples, so they were either not available in the full range of sizes or were earlier versions with slight issues that were later tweaked). I’m glad I waited to order because I found that the items I coveted the most (clydes and astral dress) didn’t work for me, at least not in the sizes that were available to try on. That said, I did leave with a list of items to buy (harper, florence pant in both linen and silk, and the mara jumpsuit in linen), and an understanding of the fabrics I did or did not like. But I only ordered the harper knowing that they wouldn’t arrive until the end of summer. I’ll probably order them next spring. And then, of course, the price. Fundamentally, I struggle with how much I’m willing to spend on a single item of clothing, even if, objectively, I can afford it.
1. No, I didn’t order anything from the Gen 4 release. I too was a little disappointed there weren’t more pieces for cooler weather. Still lots of linen pieces in this collection which I’m not interested in buying right now. But I do have my eye on the Clyde work pants in cotton.
2. My first ES piece was the Marlena midi dress in black raw silk
3. I love all the ES pieces I own and I don’t really have a favorite. I seem to wear the Florence pants in navy silk quite a lot and the Florence pants in flax linen during warmer weather. Right now I own 15 pieces. Latest acquisition was the Maxine crop in raw silk–LOVE this one!
4. I found out about ES through YOU, Grechen 🙂
Grechen Reiter says
pants are really hard- and i think interestingly enough, it’s even harder with so many size choices, you know? like sometimes i’m happiest with small, medium, or large…
Grechen Reiter says
oh!! the workbelt!!!! i’ve wished i bought that so many times since it first launched. i *think* i would use it constantly…
Grechen Reiter says
love the clyde pockets!! they’re my favorite pockets..can’t have too many…
Grechen Reiter says
i heard about the pilling issue too, and honestly, i haven’t really noticed a problem on mine. and they start out snug, and then are pretty loose…maybe i don’t wear them as often as some ladies? i really like the cotton twill honestly, i wonder how the cotton canvas is? it seems a bit more stiff, which i’m not sure i’d love?
Grechen Reiter says
yes, i agree on the return policy. i always appreciate returns for method of payment, but since i do store credit now with slowre, i understand WHY places do it that way. i guess i just always figure that with ES i’ll always find SOMETHING to love…so store credit is fine. incidentally there are ladies who “sell” their store credit on the selltradees instagram account
Grechen Reiter says
agree – i would have liked to see more cooler weather pieces, but maybe that’s what the cotton canvas is? i guess she’s trying to provide basics that can be worn year-round, and layered. imo, the knits launch should have been more items for cooler weather – there just weren’t any this year. not that i don’t love them, and seeing as how it’s 95 degrees here i can’t think about cool weather…
I love ES!! I accidentally stumbled on their Instagram pre-release live feed and it was amazing listening to Liz explain the new pieces and weeding everyone model them.
1. Haven’t ordered any Signature 4 pieces yet as I just ordered the old Clyde pants (right before they we’re phased out) as I love the Olive color and was willing to risk possible pilling from the twill fabric.
2. Georgia Midi dress in black raw silk (I am SO sad they are not offering raw silk anymore)
3. Georgia black midi dress in raw silk! 8 pieces in total
4. From you!
5. I’m a total ES addict now! But the long lead time makes me reluctant to exchange things that are not quite right which is why I mainly own their dresses and tops (pants being harder to fit).
1. So far, I ordered the Clyde Culottes in Clay (I had a store credit so only had to shell out an additional $40).
2. My first order was for Clyde pants in black, and a Harper tunic in ivory midweight linen.
3. My favorite pieces are my short sleeve and my long sleeve Harper tunics in the charcoal linen gauze….so cuddly and wonderful to wear…simply elevates my “non work clothes” wardrobe. I have added many pieces to my wardrobe…to the exclusion of almost anything else. For pants, my black Clyde pants and flax linen Clydes. Tilda pants in ivory and navy linen. Florence pants in moss silk (just got those). Georgia Tees in flax, ivory and navy linen and black raw silk. Georgia Midi in flax linen. Short sleeve Harper tunics in ivory linen and charcoal linen gauze. Long sleeve Harper in charcoal linen gauze. Josephine Tunic in black linen. Just got a long sleeve Harper dress in black raw silk (LOVE). Eva top in black raw silk (LOVE). The infamous Mules in black, and the Ida trench in black….wow I am gobsmacked at how many pieces I have bought (mostly one or two at a time as I could afford them). I practice one in and one out in my closet, so these pieces have become a large portion of my wardrobe and really work seamlessly with my Eileen Fisher pieces.
4. I found out about ES from you dear Grechen!!
5. Sizing has been pretty easy for me…I found one of the Diversity Campaign women who was very similar to me in size and shape, and just ordered the same sizes she did…and it worked!! The lead times are now 3-5 weeks which is a huge improvement!!
1. I haven’t ordered anything from the Signature 4 collection yet, since realistically the biggest hole in my closet right now is sweaters/warm clothes, but the Clyde trench or jacket, Clyde jumpsuit and, maybe, Clyde culottes are on my wishlist, because I believe you can never have too many Clyde pieces!
2. My first ES piece was a raw silk Georgia tee. It was love at first wear, and still a favorite.
3.Current favorite piece is the Keaton Duster (now Clyde vest), it just adds something special to any outfit you throw it over, and the pockets, they’re the best!!! I have 5 ES pieces, strangely they’re all white/ivory/natural so far.
4. I think I was first introduced to ES either here or by Lee from Stylebee.
5. The price and long lead time always make me hesitate a bit before purchasing, I usually take forever before finally making the purchase. My full wishlist is pretty extensive, but partially because I can’t decide between similar pieces or choose a color! Clyde or Mara jumpsuit, Clyde trench (maybe jacket?!), Linn top, Cecilia pant, long sleeve Harper, Rebekka kimono…
Forgot, I also have the Emma Kimono in Flax…wore it constantly this summer…also a LOVE!!
I haven’t ordered anything from the new line, but I enjoyed watching Liz on Instagram Live yesterday…she gave some detailed info on the new pieces and the differences from the old ones. It was really great! I have 3 ES pieces: Black Marlena Midi silk, Cecilia pant, Moss Georgia Midi silk…and I have never worn them. I know, I know.. .I’m size 4 and usually wear garments closer to the body, so when I tried them on I didn’t think they flattered me. Don’t get me wrong, I think they are beautiful garments. Part of it is that I’ve pretty much stopped wearing black as I’ve gotten older. Just too harsh against my skin color. If I totally decide not wear wear them, then I’ll send them to you, Grechen for Slowre. I do love that new rust color, so maybe I’ll try again.
Since I’ve never ordered anything from ES, I’ll jump to question 5.
5. I would purchase a dress if I could afford it, but it’s above my price range. Maybe someday.
I only have the clyde pants in cotton twill and tilda in midwt linen. I’d love to get another pair of clydes, the jacket version, and the harper tunic in linen gauze. I would buy more often if they posted videos of the models moving around in the clothes, and if they made more above the knee length dresses.
I got the impression the CWC release was happening fairly early 2018 but maybe I’m just being overly optimistic? This was strictly the signature revamp and then cold weather stuff to follow? I know I saw an olive green Rhodes sweater on the Kordal Instagram stories recently so I’m guessing the dust will settle on signature and then she will at least do another knits release. Liz also said wool Harpers were coming in 2018 but I don’t know if that meant early or late.
Grechen Reiter says
yes, you’re right. i do remember reading that somewhere?
i hope they get their wool sourcing sorted out – i love my wool harper sweater SO MUCH, and i’m sorry that they didn’t last long for sale…i’d love to see other wool pieces
I agree, I would love to get my hands on a wool Harper- or better still a wool Harper dress!
1. I ordered a long sleeved Harper tunic in ivory linen. Based on the new size chart, I took a gamble and ordered OS instead of OS-. I anticipate layering over a long sleeved tee when it’s cold out, so I think it will be alright. If not, I’ll just exchange for the smaller size.
2. My first ES piece was a Georgia tee, also in ivory linen. I love it and still wear it often. I have acquired two more Georgia tees plus some Georgia dresses since that initial purchase. It’s my favorite ES silhouette. I’m curious to see how the slightly longer, “new” Georgia tees fit but it’ll have to wait until I destroy one of my current tees before ordering a replacement… or until ES offers a new fabric or color (rust is not for me!).
3. My favorite ES piece is an ivory Georgia midi dress. My sister says it looks like Guilty Remnant uniform and I mostly agree. But it’s still my favorite.
4. I first learned about ES from a blog, though I don’t remember which one. I remember seeing a Georgia tee on a “real” person and thinking it would work for me.
5. I’ve purchased my share of ES, but have been reluctant to try any of the pants because I’m likely to choose the wrong size. Maybe with the new, more comprehensive size charts and garment measurements published… I would love to try a pair of loose-fitting Clydes, though I’m not sure they would pair well with most of the tops in my closet.
1. I ordered navy canvas Clydes. In my cart/wishlist/shopping plan for 2018 are the canvas vest and long sleeve linen Harper. A while back when Liz asked for feedback on Instagram I chimed in and said navy canvas Clydes and long sleeve linen Harper. She replied that those would happen! So now it’s exciting to see it come to fruition. I am thrilled as they are going to fill holes in my wardrobe and I’ve been waiting for a while.
2. My first piece was the raw silk Harper dress in black last fall. Really, I first ordered the Emma kimono but I returned it. It was too big – I ordered the wrong size. So I used the credit to partially pay for the raw silk Harper dress when the cold weather collection came out.
3. The dress is my favorite piece, as I’ve been able to wear it more year round than my other pieces. So now I have 4 garments. Harper tunic in navy linen, raw silk Harper dress in black, navy Harper sweater from the sample sale (can you tell I LOVE this silhouette?!?) and the navy linen Clydes. I have some black linen Florences arriving next week, though.
4. I found ES though someone on Instagram – it was just a comment someone left recommending the brand to somebody else and I clicked on the link to check it out for myself. Summer 2016 or so.
There’s a part 2 to the Signature collection coming in early 2018. I’m guessing the CWC release will be in the fall of 2018.
I think she has addressed the Harper in silk crepe previously. She basically said that she doesn’t feel that the silk crepe will hold up well with the pocket as she designed the Harper as a functional shirt and the crepe is not strong enough to hold much. Also the new cold weather collection is coming in 2018 which will have “winter” clothes 🙂
Tammy Madsen says
1. I did not order anything from the G4 release, but I really like the culottes and the rust colored pieces.
2. My first ES piece was the Harper tunic in ivory linen. Love it. I live in a cold weather state and wear linen in winter now. Layering is key. 🙂
3. My favorite piece is the Artist Smock in navy silk crepe. It’s so luxurious and terrific to dress up or down. I have an ES obsession: I own 2 Linn linen tees, 1 Marlena silk dresses, an Emma kimono, a Harlow silk tunic, a Billie sweater, a Harper tunic and pair of silk Florence pants.
4. I’m pretty sure I found out about ES through a profile on I Want to Be Her’s website. Or Reading My Tea Leaves blog.
Are the midi dresses OS size? I would be interested if you decided to sell 🙂