I was listening to Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me over the weekend, and a random question was how many pairs of jeans do Americans buy each year. Can you guess? It was astounding, the number somewhere around 1.something billion if I recall correctly (maybe it was in the millions? all I remember is that I was stunned). Basically each person buys 3-5 pairs of jeans a year. Whoa. (I have no idea where they got that number)
Of course when I think about it and analyze my own denim habits, it seems about right. Ugh. But the struggle to find a great pair of jeans is real, and one that I am constantly fighting. I also LOVE jeans. Love the look, love to wear a great pair, etc. etc. But creating a pair of jeans is one of the most water-intensive, environmentally destructive manufacturing processes in the apparel industry. Everlane tried to address that with their foray into jeans, but in my opinion failed miserably in terms of fit and styles.
- How many pairs of jeans do you have? Do you tend to favor one particular brand?
- What is your FAVORITE pair? how often do you wear jeans?
- What style do you prefer? (skinny, straight, wide leg, boyfriend)
- 100% cotton? or with stretch?
- How often do you wash your jeans?
- Chimala “white” pair, Rag & Bone Wicked, 6397 Shorty jeans (2 pairs, one black, one blue), Rachel Comey slim legion, Rachel Comey Steer (grey), 3×1 cropped flare. I have a pair of denim Ulla Johnson overalls…does that count? 😉 So, 7 total. I think I added five pairs this year. And one on the way. Ugh again. At least all my jeans are pretty different styles or colors…
- I love all my jeans except the 3×1 pair because they’re really stretchy and don’t look great on my legs. They’re ridiculously comfortable though, and my only “slim” pair, so I wear them on occasion and have had them for many years. I am desperate to find a “slim” pair of jeans that are not stretchy, but that are also comfortable. I thought the Rachel Comey slim legions would be those, but they’re not – I love the way they look and feel when I’m standing up, but sadly, that’s about all they’re comfortable for. So…favorite pair? I don’t have one. They’re all really comfortable, and great jeans, but I don’t think any of them are particularly amazing on my body. I’m not sure how often I wear jeans, maybe 50% of the time? I don’t know why…
- I love the way straight leg jeans look on women who are rather straight of body – and I keep trying to find a pair that looks like that on me, but it’s not possible, because I have such a waist/hip differential and rather thick/muscular legs. I prefer cropped, and a slightly flared leg, but really more straight. I like wide leg styles too, like my Chimala pair, but I wish they weren’t so freaking big around my waist/hips.
- 100% cotton all the way. But honestly, 100% cotton jeans are the hardest to fit/wear I’m finding. They’re either too tight at the waist/hips when I sit like the Rachel Comey slim legion jeans, or stretch out too much with wear like her steer jeans. I prefer only 2% polyurethane if anything (like my blue 6397 shorty jeans) to super-stretchy like my 3×1 jeans. I like jeans to feel like jeans…
- never. I mean, not never, but hardly ever. I honestly can’t remember the last time I washed any of my jeans. I guess the Rachel Comey Steer jeans I wash more than any because they stretch out so much. I don’t think I’ve washed my slim legion jeans yet, or my Chimala jeans…If I do wash them, I always hang to dry.