I’m just back from traveling over the weekend. I flew to Atlanta on Thursday to drive with my mother to Kentucky on Friday for a memorial service on Saturday. We drove back to Atlanta on Sunday and I flew back to DFW yesterday. Phew.
I’ve thought over the years of frequent & not so frequent travel, that I’d keep a running list of things not to forget when I travel. I don’t really do that, but I should. I have such a list in my head, but sometimes forget things, and often decide I can do without something or another and usually regret it later.
- A scarf or large scarf/blanket for the plane. This trip, I didn’t bring a scarf with me, and I regretted it on the plane last night. I was wearing a t-shirt with my Zady linen sweater on top, and my neck/shoulders were FREEZING. I really wished I’d had my scarf. In cool weather, I usually bring my wool cloud scarf by Scarf Shop and in warmer weather I try to remember to bring a very lightweight Everlane scarf I’ve had forever, but obviously forget sometimes….
- Headphones and podcasts – I’ve found that I like to listen to music/podcasts on the plane lately to try and drown out some noise, rather than read the entire time. I have large noise cancelling headphones, but those are too big to travel with, so I just use the ones that come with my phone and load it up with podcasts like Invisibilia, TED Radio hour, Sam Harris, This American Life, American Fashion Podcast….
- Nail care kit & cuticle oil
- Sneakers – I’ve traveled in sandals before, and changed into thick socks on the plane, but now, I’d rather just wear comfortable sneakers for travel days, whether or not I ever wear them again during my trip (I don’t like to wear/bring anything I don’t wear often). But often, sneakers do come in handy, even in summer when I’d rather wear sandals. So, I always wear my Vince sneakers on travel days, and maybe once or twice on the trip.
- Travel bag with a zipper closure – this is a new must-have. Most of my totes do NOT have any closure at the top, and I’ve not had a problem using them for travel before (Everlane petra tote, Admonish tote), but this time, since I’m in the TSA pre-check, and I don’t have to put my bag in a bin anymore, I was nervous that everything would fall out on the belt. So I tried to fold the tops under, and just waited with bated breath at the end to make sure I still had all my stuff! It worked out, but I’d rather not do that again.
A couple of extras I just thought of, that aren’t necessary, but I will probably start traveling with: silk/satin pillowcase, and a small travel foam roller. If I’m staying at a hotel, I always bring a small bottle of Dr. Bronner’s soap to use as hand soap and body wash because I HATE the little soaps hotels provide. I also always bring my JP raglan sleeve dress to wear around the house, or at the hotel, that’s also appropriate for hanging out in the lounge or for breakfast in the mornings.
More on bags…
As I may have mentioned before, I’m a bit picky when it comes to bags. And I like to carry one bag for everything. Especially for travel, I like to use whatever bag/purse I’m going to use at my destination as my “carry on” (separate from my roller bag), so I always use a larger bag that can fit my laptop if I need it to, as well as a large scarf, kindle, etc., etc.
I’ve experimented with also packing a smaller bag to use at my destination so I don’t lug around a large tote all the time, but that doesn’t work well for me, because I don’t do well carrying smaller bags. Ever.
I’m still searching for a go everywhere, do everything bag, have forever, bag, but it’s harder than it seems. Especially for me.
So, what are five (or more) things you don’t travel without??