Another fabulous new eco-friendly designer is Sustainable Collective by Convoy Apparel. Sustainable produces more “avant garde” pieces than many other earth-friendly designers, and I think there is a definite need for that; they appeal to the more fashion-forward “environista” with their unique take on the hoodie, versatile vests, rocker-chic tees, and much more. I was in love with these two pieces the moment I took them out of the box:
On the left is the Heron dress and the right, the Canary Dress. Honestly, for me, these are too short to wear as dresses, they’re more tunic-length on me (I’m actually thinking of getting the Heron dress hemmed a little shorter so it’s a true tunic). They are both made out of organic cotton tissue jersey, so the material is pretty thin, but soft. The tank dress I’m wearing a t-shirt under because it was a bit too revealing alone, but I didn’t think it was necessary to wear anything under the Heron dress (besides a bra, of course). I wore the Heron dress over Gap Essential jeans out to dinner one night last week and felt a little like I was on a chic island vacation – I always pictured wearing a patterned tunic over jeans out to dinner in some exotic location, so it was kind of fun to pretend at home! Since they’re both made from tissue-weight jersey cotton, each dress is thin enough to not be too hot even in 95 degree heat. Actually the tank would be a great bathing suit cover-up…
Besides the fabulous clothes, another reason why I love Sustainable Collective so much is their mission. They call it S.E.A.D.S, which stands for
1. Sustainable: they use organic & sustainable fabrics, like Hemp, organic wool and Ahimsa silk. And each season, they custom make a new dye made entirely without toxic chemicals – from teas, roots, etc.
2. Ethical: all labor is warily paid, and everything is made in the USA.
3. Authentic: They make an effort to research and certify all their sources
4. Directional: “forward-thinking fashion for eco-fashionistas”
5. Social: they participate in social products and charities like 1% for the Planet.
Buy online through their website, or find other places online that sell Sustainable Collective.