I ordered this dress on a whim after Henny mentioned how much she loved it. I’d been looking at it, thinking it looked interesting, and could be a nice (more affordable) “alternative” to James Perse, so wanted to try it anyway. And I liked the ribbing; I think it adds interesting texture and makes it a little more “special” than jersey. I got a medium.
I wore it yesterday as you see above, since it was up to about 80 degrees here. My thoughts:
- You CAN wear a normal bra with it easily, which is a big plus for me. One of my straps peeked out a bit but not enough to be a bother.
- I appreciate that the neckline and armholes are higher-cut, for more coverage, but I think they’d be more flattering if they were a bit lower/open.
- The material feels good (viscose/nylon), but it is slightly sheer. I really prefer natural materials though.
- The length is very good on me, just below my knees. The problem with that is that it rides up when I walk slightly.
- Which leads me to the major negative: As I walked, the dress twisted nearly half way around and I had to adjust it CONSTANTLY. I’m not sure it was noticeable to anyone looking, but it got twisted up around my waist and became slightly uncomfortable, so every few steps I was pulling it back down and out. It may twist so much because I was wearing Spanx, which I ALWAYS do with dresses like this, it just makes them much more comfortable and wearable. Anyway, I would recommend wearing some layer or a slip with this dress.
So, in conclusion, I’m not sure I’ll wear it again. Perhaps with a less slick pair of spanx, or a cotton slip? or tights? But honestly, it’s not really worth that much more effort to me, I’d rather wear my myriad James Perse dresses. I loved the length, and the ribbing was interesting, but James Perse dresses are FAR superior in my opinion, easier to wash (this dress is dry clean), and made of mostly cotton – also made in the US.
The dress is a nice try, and again, the ribbing is good, and it’s generally comfortable to wear (not to walk in!), but I feel so much better in James Perse because of the double-layers and ruching that I really just don’t think this dress comes close. And as you can see above, the ribbing stretches and shows all the bumps, etc. (and bloating of late), instead of holding them in like I appreciate with JP. When you want fitted dresses that are comfortable, and flattering, James Perse honestly is the only way to go…