ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES EVER (Urban Cowboy). Don’t judge.
I saw this illustration by Mari Andrews recently at Cup of Jo and thought it would make a very interesting five questions post.
But do you know how hard it was for me to come up with things you might now know about me?? For the last 14 years I’ve been pretty open to sharing everything here, so this was challenging 🙂
- Concerts I’ve been to: My first one was Foreigner/Night Ranger with my dad in 1986. I saw INXS in 1988 or something? Not sure. Depeche Mode Violator tour in 1990 after graduating high school. Cocteau Twins at a small venue in the early 90’s sometime, I don’t remember. Run DMC and Chemical Brothers in Israel in 2000 or thereabouts. ZZ Top and Lynard Skynard (ew) in 2012 or 2014 at an iconic venue near Austin. Besides seeing the symphony here and there that was the last real concert I went to.
- I saw Grease at a drive-thru with my family soon after it was released. I’ve always had a semi-crush on John Travolta; I can watch everything he’s ever done over and over again, yes, including Face Off LOL. But Urban Cowboy is weirdly one of my favorite movies of all time – I know all the words to The Devil Went Down to Georgia. Also, that Boz Scaggs song, gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME.
- I love auto racing. Not as much as my husband, who is an F1 super-fan and has a simulator in his office. I used to go to the Daytona motor speedway with my dad when we lived in Orlando and I loved it. I had a subscription to Road & Track for a while when I was in middle school hahaha. I’ve been to Road Atlanta for the Petit Le Mans series and one F1 race in Austin right after the Circuit of the Americas opened up, but haven’t been to a race in a while. If we can ever do it, I’d love to be able to travel around the world to attend Formula One races.
- I took piano lessons for 5-6 years before high school and was very good at it, but sadly, once I was given the choice whether or not I would continue on my own in high school, I stopped taking lessons and playing at all. I’ve been thinking a lot about getting a good electronic keyboard to start playing again; I miss it, and think it would be great for relaxation, and also somewhat of a challenge.
- Back to music: I rarely listen to much that was made after 1990 or so, with an exception for hip-hop 😉 I burned out from 90’s music (the Wallflowers…ugh…) in the 90’s and never want to hear it again! If I had to list my favorite bands, they would be first, Cocteau Twins (remember when we had to buy imported CDs???), without a doubt, or second thought, and then, Depeche Mode. After that, eh, maybe Bauhaus, New Order and spinoffs, Beastie Boys. I don’t listen to music much, honestly, I prefer NPR while I’m working. I like it when I do listen to music, I just don’t think it about it, if that makes sense. I do have quite a collection of classical music, Chopin’s piano pieces are always my favorite, Beethoven, and Rachmaninoff and close behind.
Ok…your turn!! Tell us some things people might not know about you, or would be surprised about if they learned.