*when you use my referral link to Garmentory and sign up for a new account, you’ll receive a $20 credit and so will I*
I’ve been thinking about playing, and fun, lately. We talked about “play” in book club recently and went around the room discussing the things we do as play. Quite a few of us were quiet; I’m not sure what it even means to play. I think if I was at the beach, I would “play” in the waves, “play” with sand, and maybe act “playful” in general, but otherwise, I can’t picture myself playing, in a physical sense anyway. When my niece and nephew and stepson were younger I would play with them, as you do with young children, but play is different as adults. Shouldn’t it be?
It’s not as if I don’t have fun. But my idea of fun is literally curling up on the couch with a book, a cup of coffee and a blanket nearby. Or binge watching an excellent tv show on Netflix. Or a long walk with Dagny. Watching birds at the feeder. Dinner with friends. Maybe doing a jigsaw puzzle?
I enjoy board games or card games sometimes, but I’m so competitive my sister refused to play Monopoly with me for a couple of decades, now I can only play with a vodka tonic nearby. And some of the ladies in book club mentioned that they play by “ecstatic dancing“, which to me, is anxiety-inducing.
I don’t think everyone has to play a certain way, or have fun a certain way, but I would love to try and “let loose” a bit more, disengage sometimes, forget about how I fit in wherever it is that I am. Get out of my head. I do that in Pure Barre, but I wouldn’t call that fun LOL
- Do you consider yourself a serious person? a playful person?
- Do you “play?” How?
- What do you like to do for fun by yourself? with others?
- How does the way you dress reflect your serious or fun personality? Does it? Are you more “fun” in the way you dress than you are in real life?
- What’s your “guilty” pleasure?
- I am definitely a serious person. I am happy, and I have fun, but not in a “playful,” let loose, delirious way. I am always on guard and paying careful attention to my surroundings and the people I’m with. I fear I stay so serious and guarded so I don’t become too vulnerable, or open myself up too much. I need to re-read Brene Brown…
- I don’t really play. When we’re on family vacation I let loose a bit more than usual, and one of the things Leo and I enjoy the most is playing pictionary with the whole family. So, I guess I play…within reason 😉 But on a daily basis, I don’t make an effort to play.
- I honestly prefer to be by myself most of the time. I love it…and am happiest with a book (my kindle), coffee, and a blanket. I also really enjoy going out for dinner with friends, or happy hour, or just hanging out – low key is best, otherwise I tend to get overwhelmed…
- I am serious, and most of the time I think I dress very seriously, although I do wear things that are not typically flattering, with interesting silhouettes, or have some unique detail, so perhaps my wardrobe isn’t as “serious” as I think it is?? Maybe it is fun, just within certain constraints. Like me.
- Definitely binge watching something on netflix or amazon. I feel guilty when I do it, because it’s not enriching my brain at all, it’s just entertaining. I’ve never been great at engaging in things that are purely entertaining, but I appreciate how regenerating that can be when I do do it.