- Do you drink alcoholic beverages? When did you start?
- How often do you have a drink?
- What is your drink of choice?
- Have you ever had a “problem” with your consumption of alcohol?
- Do the people around you drink?
Pretty personal, I know, but I’ve been thinking a lot about my own consumption of alcohol lately. If you know me at all, you know that I overthink EVERYTHING. I analyze, and worry, and go over and over and over things in my head. Constantly. This is even more acute when it comes to what I eat and drink.
So, I thought, why don’t we overthink this together? LOL
- I do drink alcoholic beverages. I started in high school, as a result of peer pressure, but it didn’t really become a regular habit. It was stupid binge drinking of stuff like schnapps. Ewww. I don’t remember enjoying anything at all about the experience. I got in some trouble in college drinking cheap beer (got sick in the men’s bathroom in my boyfriend’s dorm, and had to give a presentation to said dorm about drinking and driving), and then wasn’t really interested in drinking much after that. While I was still away at college I did smoke marijuana, which I preferred, but stopped doing that eventually also. In my 20’s and 30’s I drank a little socially, and had one bad experience with alcohol again, but mostly didn’t drink much.
- This is what I’ve been thinking about lately. I’ve started having a glass of wine every night recently, and I feel bad/guilty about it. I have always been afraid of drinking at home, by myself, and as such have tried to avoid doing it habitually. I have always felt like I have a very addictive personality, and could easily become an “alcoholic” if I let myself, so I’ve been very careful about not getting into the habit. But as I continue to think more about it, I don’t actually think I’m at risk to become an out of control drinker. I could get used to having a glass of wine every night though, as has become sort of what I do lately. And maybe that’s just as bad? Or not? I don’t know. I really enjoy a glass of Zinfandel or Cabernet in the evening with some cheese and olives (that’s been my “dinner” lately), and I usually stop at one pour; a bottle of wine will usually last me four or five days. I love a good glass of wine, for the taste (I have always enjoyed heavy, substantial drinks: black, thick coffee, Guinness beer, and bold cabs), and that it has this way of just taking a little of the “edge” off. You know? I do not like the swimmy feeling of drinking too much, so I avoid that, but I love the after-one-glass feeling of contentment. And THAT’s what I’m worried about….getting addicted to that.
- My drink of choice…hmmm…As I mentioned above, I love Zinfandel lately. I try to keep my bottles around $10 and will sometimes splurge on my favorite wine at Costco that’s about $19 (Seghesio from Sonoma), and enjoyed a bottle of Trader Joe’s “house” zinfandel that was $7 recently. Anything old vine I like, Rodney Strong, and my dad recently suggested Bogle, so I’m trying that next. I also like Cabernet, Josh (my favorite) and the Bonterra organic cab is pretty good. I’ve been known to drink two buck chuck, but I’d rather not LOL. I also love Guinness for beer, or during the summer Dallas Blonde by Deep Ellum breweries is good. If I’m out at happy hour with a friend I’ll sometimes get a mixed drink and those run the gamut for me, I’ll just choose whatever sounds interesting. I like moscow mules, and a good bloody mary with brunch. We always have Grey Goose in the freezer and sometimes I’ll make myself a vodka tonic with kombucha instead of tonic, and a little lime juice. My husband drinks bourbon, which I’d like to start trying more, but I need to dilute mine with water/ice…
- See above haha. Early on, I had a problem with drinking too much and getting sick, but that was just youth and stupidity. Now, I avoid getting “drunk” like the plague. I’m careful about eating enough before I have a drink, and during, and just trying not to drink too much. Like I said though, I do sort of worry about getting in the “habit” of having a drink every night, and I sometimes feel bad when I want to have a glass of wine and I already did the day before. I’m trying to be less hard on myself about that though. I am very much in control of it, but that little voice in the back of my head is there telling me that I shouldn’t “rely” on drinking to help me relax; it’s a slippery slope. That voice!!
- Yes. My parents, and step-mom enjoy wine with dinner and when I’m with my dad we always open a bottle at dinner, which I love. Leo enjoys martinis and bourbon, but he also tries not to drink every night; he doesn’t really drink wine with me. Our friends drink, and I love trying new things with them (botanical gin, cassis!). One of our friends doesn’t drink at all, but that’s never really been an issue – we respect his choice, and appreciate that about him.